We are currently seeking an experienced and qualified Manager of Audit to add value and improve our operations by bringing a systematic and disciplined approach to the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes. The manager will be part of a global audit team that help facilitate organizational accountability and integrity through the existing lines of audit services (i.e., Assurance services, Management consulting and Fraud Investigations). This leader provides management and oversight to facilitate organizational accountability and integrity through audit of business controls, accuracy of financial records, and efficiency of Compassion operations, examining departmental records, and interviews with individuals to provide assurance about ministry operations, including compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The primary purpose of this position is to provide full, daily management for assigned professional staff. This responsibility includes hiring, discipline, and termination, as well as, coaching, performance management, assigning, checking, and approving work to satisfy department objectives. The incumbent will ensure accomplishment of department responsibilities based on oversight from senior management, following established practices, organizational strategy, department guidelines, and within approved budget.
The key responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Maintains a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Is a consistent witness for Jesus Christ, maintains a courteous, Christ-like attitude in dealing with people within and outside of Compassion, and faithfully upholds Compassion’s ministry in prayer.
- Acts as an advocate to raise the awareness of the needs of children. Understands Christ’s mandate to protect children.
- Commits to and prioritizes child protection considerations in all decision-making, tasks and activities across the ministry. Abides by all behavioral expectations in Compassion’s Statement of Commitment to Child Protection and Code of Conduct. Reports any concerns of abuse, neglect or exploitation of children through Compassion’s internal reporting process and appropriately supports responses to incidents if they occur.
- Provides leadership, planning and consultation to subordinates, executives, and peer management in the successful alignment of assigned department resources to ensure achievement of operational priorities and initiatives, integrating priorities within organizational strategies to ensure that department’s purpose is fulfilled.
- Contributes to or prepares and administers the annual budget and departmental expenses, ensuring accountability for on-time completion of deliverables based on department objectives, and other Compassion standards, ensuring compliance with regulatory and board policies.
- Selects, manages and develops assigned staff, establishing goals and objectives, coaching and managing performance, including discipline, motivation, and annual reviews; supports continuous learning and development that enhances individual performance and organizational capability.
- Partners with ministry leaders, managers, and other audit and risk management professionals, collaborating across functions to plan and manage audits that review supporting documents for Compassion operations to ensure organizational accountability and integrity and maintain operational excellence.
- Provides professional, insightful recommendations concerning key decisions on Compassion’s standards, controls, programs, and processes.
- Implements initiatives to improve consistency, scalability, quality, and efficiency of audits; provides opinion and assurance on control framework issues, including internal policies and procedures, industry standards and requirements, and regulatory requirements.
- Ensures that assigned staff conduct audits and investigations in a manner that builds partnership with Compassion and Partners and is successful in identifying root causes that can be corrected to ensure ongoing improvement and future successes.
- May travel to Compassion project sites to participate in or lead the audit operational and financial systems, administration records, accountability procedures, staffing, planning, budgets, specific key result indicators, legal compliance, and general management practices. Ensures that audits are conducted in a facilitative manner, emphasizing opportunities for training and development of ministry partner workers.
Essential Job Functional Competencies
- Demonstrate self-awareness, cultural-awareness, and people management skills
- Possess competencies required to demonstrate the authority, credibility, and ethical conduct essential for a valuable internal audit activity
- Ability to demonstrate competencies required to plan and perform internal audit engagements in conformance with the Standards
- Possess competencies required to identify and address the risks specific to the industry and environment in which the organization operates
- Demonstrate competencies required to provide strategic direction, communicate effectively, maintain relationships, and manage internal audit personnel and processes
- Demonstrate accountability for the performance and results of a team within own area of specialty
- Consistently apply and uphold the principles of integrity, objectivity, confidentiality, and due professional care.
- Adapts departmental plans and priorities to address resource and operational challenges
- Demonstrate decision making, problem solving and analytical skills necessary to manage different teams.
- Consistently exhibits maturity and dependability, and able to create and/ or maintain good working relationships with colleagues and the Local leadership.
- Provides technical guidance to employees, colleagues and/or customers
- Manages one or more generally homogeneous teams; adapts department plans and priorities to meet short-term service and/or operational objectives
- Provides leadership for at least two professional employees and/or Senior Auditors
- Basic computer skills including MS Office, accounting software, and databases etc.
Has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.Education
Accountable for supporting, upholding, and engaging in Compassion’s core “Cultural Behaviors” in all internal and external communication and relationships.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Management Information Systems, Business Administration, or related discipline
Five to Ten years Professional experience working in audit, finance, risk management, governance, or similar field involving international, inter-cultural operations.
Licenses and Certifications
Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) granted by The Institute of Internal Auditors, and similar credentials such as Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), Institute of Chartered Accountants (ICA), The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA) etc.
Verbal and written communication in English and French is required.
The manager of audit will demonstrate an ability to develop positive and trusting cross-cultural relationships.
*** Equivalent education, training and/or certification may be substituted for experience and education shown above ***
Work Environment: Office – Standard Office Environment
Physical Demands: Sitting, standing, and/or walking for up to 8 hours per day
Travel Requirements: May be required to travel up to 40% of normal schedule
Compassion International uses standardized job families and associated job descriptions. As such, not all employees will be responsible for all functions on this document. Employees may perform these and/or other similar type and level of duties depending on the work group and country to which they are assigned.