Time: 3 Hours Monday, 13th July 2020 p.m
- This paper consists of three sections A, B and C with a total of ten (10) questions.
- Answer all question in section A and B and any two (2) questions from section C.
- Map extract of ARUSHA (Sheet 55/3) is provided.
- Programmable calculators, cellular phones and unauthorized materials are not allowed in the examination room.
- Write your Examination Number on every page of your answer sheet(s).
SECTION A (15 Marks)
Answer all questions in this section
- For each of the given items (i) – (x), choose the correct answer from the given alternatives and write its letter besides the item number in the answer sheet provided.
- The following are the days on which equinox occur every year.
A 21st June and 22nd December B 22nd December and 23rd September
C 21st March and 23rd September D 23rd September and 21st June
E. 21st March and 21st June
- Form of metamorphism which affects large area with the influence of pressure only.
A Contact metamorphism B Dynamic metamorphism
C Local metamorphism D Thermal metamorphism E Diastrophism
- The amount of temperature on the earth’s surface varies with altitude. If Dar es Salaam at sea level has a temperature of 320C, what will be a temperature of Simiyu lying 1500m above sea level?
A 99 0F B 9 0C C 23 0F
D 0.6 0C E 73.8 0F
- An accumulation of material extending sea ward from the land joining an island.
A Island arc B Tombolo C Spit
D Beach E Bar
- They are responsible for removing built materials along the coast line when backwash is more powerful than swash.
A Destructive waves B Erosion C Constructive waves
D Ocean current E Long shore waves
- A U-shaped valley with steep sides and flat floor produced by vertical and lateral erosion by moving ice.
A Hanging valley B Rock Basin C Cirque
D Rift valley E Gracial trough
- Formed when lava flow spread out over hundreds of square kilometers.
A. Shield volcano B. Volcanic mountain
C. Acidic lava D. Lava plateau E. Crater
- The diversion of river or some water of less powerful river in the adjacent valley.
A River regime B Fluctuation of water C River terraces
D River rejuvenation E River piracy
- The following are the examples of features formed in the lower stage of the river.
A Plunge pool, natural levees and Flood plain B Flood plain, Pot holes and Delta
C Delta, Ox-bow lake and Flood plain D Ribbon lake, Ox-bow lake and
distributaries E Braided river, Meander and Water fall
- The sequence of different soil types formed from similar parent material with varying relief and drainage down a slope.
A Soil cartena B Soil texture C Sand soil
D Clay soil E Loamy soil
2. Match the items in List A with corresponding response in list B by writing the letter of the correct
answer beside the item number in the answer sheet provided .
F. Artesian basin.
G. Composite cone.
H. Inorganic matter.
I. Soil porosity.
J. Cummulo dome.
SECTION B (55 marks).
Answer all questions from this section.
3. Study the map extract of Arusha (sheet 55/3) provided then answer the question that follows;
(a) Describe relief features found in the area.
(b) Measure the distance of Great North Road in kilometers from grid reference 240237 to 370278.
. (c) With reasons, identify the type of settlement pattern found in the area.
(d) Calculate the area covered by Burka Estate in square kilometers.
(e) Name the major economic activities that take place in the area.
4. The table below shows the hypothetical data for cash crops production in Tanzania from
2017−2019 (in “000”tones)
( a) Present the data by means of a grouped bar graph.
(b) State five advantages of this method of presenting data as used in (a) above.
(c) Comment on the trend of coffee for that three years.
5. (a) Give the meaning of the following terminologies as used in surveying;
(i) Plane table survey
(ii) Prismatic Compass Survey
(iii) Chain Survey
(b) Define leveling and mention six equipments used in leveling process.
6. Suppose you are the student of Mikakati Secondary school located at Mipango village in Simiyu
region. After completion of the topic of research, you are asked by your teacher to conduct a
research on Corona virus which is spreading very fast in your village.
(a) Suggest the best research title for the study
(b) What data collection method will you prefer. Support your answer with four
(c) State the sampling techniques that you might have employed in selecting the
(d) State any two difficulties you might face when conducting the research.
7. Study the photograph provided below and then answer the questions that follows;
(a) With three reasons state the type of photograph.
(b) Name the crops shown on the fore and background part of the photograph
and with reasons point any two regions where crops mentioned above can
(c) Suggest the type of climate that favors the crops shown in the photograph.
(d) What economic activity is taking place on fore on the fore part of the
(e) At what time the picture might have taken.
SECTION C (30 Marks).
Answer two questions from this section.
8. Industries are not built anywhere. Using six points what are the determinants for the location of
9. “Nuclear energy can be a blessing as well as a curse’. Comment on this statement using six points.
10. High death rate is still a problem in the world. Examine six factors influencing high death rate.